Sunday, August 24, 2008

Almost in my Own Backyard

I've been following my own advice and found great ways to celebrate the final weeks of summer. One warm day, my husband and I drove 10 minutes to a park in a neighboring town. My nephew had been a lifeguard at the beach there for years and told us what a great place it was. Somehow we were still surprised to find a beautiful, clean pond with a sandy beach. And, lots of trees and grass - important for me since I don't like spending too much time in the sun. The water was warm and the swimming great fun. I just can't believe this is the first time we've been there. It certainly won't be the last.

Yesterday we went back to the same town for its annual Waterfront Festival which we had attended in other years. But this year, we were with the grandkids and got to watch the Duck races and see them delight riding the race cars and the horses on the carousel. We perused the numerous booths, but I had more fun watching the boats in the harbor. Each year this festival provides us with different things to do.

We ended the day by going to an intriguing, new ice cream shop. It was in another nearby town and had just opened this summer. The people who own it have created a fascinating place to sit and eat their yummy ice cream. On the deck are an abundance of flowers, plants, and lime green tables and chairs. More seating places in the yard, ranging from colorful Adirondack chairs, to old-fashioned stools, white cast iron tables and chairs, to a life sized cow you can sit on. The shop is called "The Whole Scoop" but I call it "The Perfect Ice Cream Experience".

There is still one week left of summer and we plan to find new places to enjoy. Join us and get every moment of enjoyment this week and let me know what surprises you find in or near your own backyard.

No comments: